WATER DISTRIBUTION OPERATOR-1 JOB DESCRIPTION
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of skilled, semi-skilled duties in the installation, repair, and maintenance of systems used in the operation of the District’s water distribution/treatment system; and performs related work as assigned. Will be required to operate and maintain a range of construction equipment, including a variety of power and hand tools.
Works under the immediate direction of Senior Water Distribution Operators.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK DUTIES:
Makes rounds to check master meters and water levels, repairs service line breaks, installs water lines and new customer services, repairs meters, installs check valves, performs line locates, checks chlorine residuals, operates dump truck/track hoe/bobcat, coordinates with the office on work orders and customer requests/complaints, remains alert for line breaks or unusual situations, checks pressure at curb stops and hose bibs, tests accuracy of meters, corresponds with state and local utilities. Maintains a charged radio.
Flushes lines and breaks down old meters. Performs routine maintenance activities such as trash removal, truck and heavy equipment cleaning and maintenance, building cleaning and maintenance, equipment and tool cleaning, and organizing and restocking parts.
Reads meters, places door hangers, responds to turn-offs and turn-ons, and performs re-reads. Takes rotating weekend on-call duty. Inspects fire extinguishers and air packs. Makes additions and corrections to map books. Cleans and maintains pump stations, collects Health Department water samples.
The duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the class.
1. Performs a variety of skilled, semi-skilled duties involved in the inspection, diagnosis, troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, and servicing of water distribution equipment, components, facilities and machinery, such as pipes, tubes, rods, seals, shafts, stuffing boxes, gears, motors, bearings, couplings, valves, and pumps.
2. Inspects, maintains, and repairs pumps, valves, motors, and other equipment located in pump stations and other points within the water distribution and transmission system.
3. Maintenance of District facilities, to include pumping stations, equipment and systems, and other tasks as assigned by Senior Operators.
4. Carries out small scale construction projects involving, installation of water pipelines.
5. Performs street maintenance activities including patching, pothole repairs, resurfacing, drainage maintenance, brush control, grading, and sign maintenance.
6. Carries out water distribution system maintenance including tracing and repairing leaks, pipe repair, and replacement, manhole repair, meter reading, service connection installation, and repair.
7. Performs duties assigned to Water Distribution Operator 2 positions as needed.
8. Ability to read and follow verbal and written instructions.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE: KNOWLEDGE OF:
Requires some knowledge and understanding of the operation of mechanical pumping systems, to include water pumping equipment. Also calls for knowledge of the equipment used in the construction and maintenance of those systems and its operation. Willingness to work in all phases of operations and under varying weather conditions is expected, and the ability to move and lift heavy items. Also requires the ability to work as a team member and to communicate effectively with the general public and District staff.
Diagnose and repair a wide variety of system components, such as valves, meters, piping, and other equipment common to the water distribution field; use precision and diagnostic instruments to measure required tolerances of mechanical parts; use modern, state-of-the-art precision and diagnostic instruments to test, calibrate and repair complex devices and equipment; identify and implement effective courses of action to complete assigned work; read and interpret plans, specifications and manuals; exercise independent judgment and initiative within established guidelines; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered in the course of the work; coordinate work assignments with other crewmembers.
Ability to build positive working relationships with others; proactively supports in attaining District goals and objectives even if personally not in agreement with them; speaks positively of others and the District organization.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Requires a minimum of two years of hands-on experience in the operation and maintenance of water/wastewater systems, operating and maintaining relevant pumping machinery, systems, and equipment, with a proven safety record. High school diploma or equivalent.
NECESSARY AND SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or equivalent. Valid State of Oregon, Class-A Commercial Driver’s License (must be maintained as a condition of employment). Clean driving record. Must pass drug screening and background check. Obtain flagger and Water Distribution/Treatment 1 certificates within 24-months.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Position holder must be able to lift heavy objects, sit, stoop, maneuver into tight spaces, use fingers and hands with dexterity suitable for normal activities of this position, possess accurate vision acuity to perform duties, and wear suitable protective clothing or equipment. Position also requires the ability to work in confined spaces. Ability to read and follow verbal and written instructions is required.